Darryl Lair had a Great Time at the 2019 NVWG’s. Here are his recollections from the experience.
I competed in six games.
1. Wheelchair Basketball – my team name was the Iron Liege “57”, we won two games and played our third for the bronze medal, we were ahead by 8 points to half time. But our shot did not fall in the second half and we lost by 6 points, that was a tough lost. But we had fun.
2. Archery – I played golf that day and we got back a hour late and could not compete.
3. Golf – Had a great time playing golf. We played at Quail Chase Golf Course 3 Person Best Ball Louisville Kentucky Tournament, Mr. Fuzzi Zoeller PGA 1979 Champion was the honorary guest.
4. Air Rifle – the Air Rifle competition was tough, those veterans could shoot accurate.
5. Track & Field Discus – Was Great, I won a Gold Medal, I through the Discus 41′.
6. Track & Field Javelin – Was Fun also, I didn’t through the Javelin very far.
The flight to Louisville Kentucky on American Airlines was pretty good. Overall Louisville Kentucky was a Great Host, we stayed at the Galt Hotel East, Very nice accommodations.
The convention center here most indoor events was only two blocks away and downtown Louisville. The opening ceremony was awesome, there were over sex hundreds wheelchair veterans there ready to compete. Lots of restaurants close by. Got a chance to eat at White Castle Burger and Spaghetti Factory. My wife Rachel who is my personal care assistance (pca) had a great time in Louisville also.
From our hotel room we could see the Belle of Louisville River Boat on the Ohio River. We was a couple blocks from the Muhammad Ali Center and the Louisville Slugger Baseball Bat Company. Really enjoyed ourselves at the 39th NVWG’s. Next year’s 2020 40th NVWG’s will be in Portland, Oregon.
Thank you PVA California Chatper for sponsoring me so as I was able to compete with Team Long Beach in Louisville Kentucky at the national veterans wheelchair games.
I’ve been to many wheelchair games in the past and I think this was the best one.! It was very well organized, Logistics was great, the hotel room was nice, the weather was good , the people were super friendly the food was amazing and most of all… the competition and camaraderie is unparalleled.
I competed in five events. Swimming, softball, 9-ball, table tennis and air pistols. I won a gold medal in the 50m backstroke, a silver medal in softball, a bronze medal in 9-ball and a bronze medal in table tennis. It was a very good week and my consistent efforts in going to the gym and training really seemed to pay off.
I was also able to participate in something new this year. I was chosen as one of the mentors for kids day. I work with children with disabilities here in California pretty frequently and very much enjoy it. Kids day was such an inspiration as these children have big hearts and glowing spirits!
Rebecca and Ina from LBVA RT were there as coaches and helped out when necessary. I saw them frequently throughout the week at my events and other events.
Again, thank you for your sponsorship as this was a fantastic week and very beneficial to people with SCI and other disabling conditions.
Leave a Reply